Jeff outlines this section of Romans with 12 points:
1. Overview of Romans.
2. The Biblical worldview is logical and just. Faith is based on reason and logic.
3. General revelation declares that God exists.
4. We suppress the truth of God. If we let the knowledge of God expand and fill our world we are accountable so man does everything to keep truth constrained. Our reason has been corrupted. Our ability to reason about God correctly is corrupted.
5. Out of our emptiness we create idols to worship because we have to have something to worship. We exchange the truth about God for a lie. We worship the creation rather than the Creator. The most fundamental sin is our refusal to worship the one true creator God who made us; idolatry.
6. We are without excuse. In a courtroom we are unable to speak in our legal defense. We will have nothing to say. Creation puts us on notice, declaring that God exists and we refused to worship God. Through creation God has provided sufficient evidence of Himself to hold us accountable.
7. God's wrath is justified on account of our idol worship and our suppressing the truth. God's holy anger and firm resolve to destroy evil. The exercise of His righteousness and holiness. Always appropriate, measured and proportional because He is righteous and good and just.
8. God actively hands us over to sexual perversion to the dishonoring of our bodies. The just exercise of His wrath. The bad news before the good news of Jesus in Ch 3. The wrath is the handing over to practice of sexual impurity, not the cause of God's wrath.
9. God further hands us over to dishonorable same sex passions. The second 'handing over'. Men and women are inflamed with strong passion and desire but how we carry out these passions can lead to disgrace and dishonor of our bodies.
10. God hands us over to a worthless mind, 3rd handing over’’, to fulfill what ought not to be done. Twenty one different measures of becoming rebellious and evil minded.
They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. (ESV)
11. All we can humanly do is to live for today, eat and be merry and hope that God does not exist because we are without excuse or defense. We call evil to be good and good to be evil. We celebrate and approve things that are wrong to avoid being out of step with the decay in society. We want to be seen to be progressive when actually we are approving the regressive.
12. God has provided a way for us to reverse the exchange. Turn from worship of idols to worship the true and living God through faith in Jesus Christ. 1 Thess 1:9-10. We can turn back to worshiping the creator through faith in Jesus Christ. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, Rom 8:1. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.