Prophecy brings numerous responses from ridicule, fear, indifference, scoffing, or excitement. Why study prophecy?
1. It promotes the scriptures. 30% of scripture is prohetic.
2. Prevents ignorance, 1 Thess. 4
3. Proclaims Christ. All scriptures point to Christ. Not about us, its about Jesus.
4. Promises personal benefit, Rev 1
5. Promotes holy living. Prophesy gives you perspective on the times to come and changes our conduct with this knowledge.
6. Persuades action now. Romans tells us our salvation is nearer now that when we first believed. We need to study prophecy to motivate us into repentance and action.
Look at the book of Daniel and how it fits into the scheme of prophesy.
1. Overview of the gentile domination of Jerusalem. Ch2
2. Seventy Sevens prophecy. Ch. 9
3. Nature of the final ruler, or Antichrist.
Principles of interpretation:
A When the plain sense of scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense.
B Perspective. Sometimes prophets did not see the difference between the near and far. Foreshortening.
C Prototypes. Partial fulfilment of something early that is completely fulfilled later.
D A text, apart from a context, is a pretext. Need to be careful with taking verses out of context and drawing incorrect conclusions.