Ross takes us through Matthew 24 and characterises it as the Clash of Kingdoms, the show down. Clash between the leaders of the nation of Israel and the Lord Jesus. Here, Jesus tells his disciples about the future.
In this final week of the life of Jesus Christ there are three main events,
1. Cleansing of the temple. ch 21.
2. 3 days of teaching to his opponents. ch 22.
3. Warnings to hypocrites. ch 23.
Ch 24 teaching is about the future. As Jesus left the Temple he predicted that every stone will be thrown down. When will this happen, what will be the sign? Jesus uses a a teachable moment with his disciples. An opportunity to teach the one who asked the question is ready to be instructed.
As Chapter 24 sets out future events we need to ask what is our attitude or reaction is to Prophesy. A word that generates different reactions from some.
1 Scoffers. Not true, ridiculous!
2 Oh no! A cause of controversy. Frightened of what it can cause, nervous. Avoid at all costs
3. MEGO syndrome, boring, My Eyes Glaze Over? Why bother.
4. Curious. I want to know more.
Why bother with prophesy. Six reasons.
1. Promotes the study of Scripture, Heb 4:12, 30% of your bible is prophetic
2. Prevents ignorance. We need to be aware of things that are to happen
3. Proclaims Christ. Look for Christ in the passages
4. Promises personal benefit.
5. Promotes holy living. Seeing all these things are going to happen, what sort of people ought we to be.
6 Persuades action now. If you know the Lord is coming soon you need to be active now. How should we act in view of what is coming.
Are you ready for the return of Jesus or are you acting like those in the days of Noah? Judgement is coming
How do we change form serving idols to serving God. Repent and turn in faith to Jesus and accept what He did on the cross for your sin